I have written about the need for better music criticism. This piece by Everitt True about Kurt Cobain is the sort of thing we need less of. It’s the epitome of everything I loathe about the hipster-punk school of music writing. True is a talented writer, but he is not actually a music critic. That’s because he doesn’t write about the actual music. Whatever the nominal subject, the piece is ultimately all about himself. And it’s an school of writing that’s ultimately responsible for bigging up more terrible music than 70s prog-rock could ever dream of.
- ard sloc on Slumbering Dragons and White Elephants
- Tim Hall on Crimson Sky call it a day
- Tom B on Crimson Sky call it a day
- PaulE on Luna Rossa Album and Tour
- PaulE on Crimson Sky call it a day
- Synthetase on Today’s unsurprising discovery
- Tim Hall on Chantel McGregor tour dates
- Steve on Chantel McGregor tour dates
- Naked Music Monday: Mastodon, “The Motherload” on Mastodon’s “The Motherload” and the backlash
- Tim Hall on Why are we not rioting on the streets?
- John P. on Why are we not rioting on the streets?
- Tim Hall on Trolls Are The New Spam